Purpose of the Test
The Mathematics Placement Test is a pass-fail test! It tests a student's mathematical ability for studying calculus and other areas of mathematics in engineering. The test results are used to determine eligibility for enrollment in MATH1510 (Calculus for Engineers) in order to complete one of the graduation requirements for an Engineering programme.
Students who fail the test must take both MATH1020 (General Mathematics) and MATH1510 (Calculus for Engineers) in Term 1, 2019-20. Students who pass the test will only have to take MATH1510.
There are no exemptions made for the placement test!
Placement Test Schedule
The placement test is scheduled for 11:30a.m. - 12:30p.m. on Tuesday, 13th August 2019.
Please arrive at 10:30a.m. at Lecture Theatre 1, Yasumoto International Acadmic Park to complete the test registration before the start of the test.
Alternate seating will be arranged.
General Characteristics of the Test
- The paper and pencil test consists entirely of multiple choice questions, each with five choices.
- There are 30 multiple-choice questions worth 3 points each for a total of 90 points. Each item has only one acceptable answer. There is no penalty for any question if you pick the choice “I don’t know” for your answer, but there is a penalty for incorrect answer.
- Calculators are NOT permitted during the test.
- Bring a valid, physical photo ID such as HKID or passport (not expired) with a HB (#2) pencil. Please also get your JUPAS / Non-JUPAS Application Number ready in case Mathematics Department may ask such number for further verification.
- You are NOT allowed to use the followings during the test:
- Cell phones, smart phones, and other electronic devices.
- Any clocks, timers, or watches that beep or have audible alarms.
- A make-up placement test will be provided only when documentation of hospitalization, major illness, death of immediate family members is provided. In order to be considered for permission to take the make-up placement test, you must send an e-mail notice with a written explanation of your absence on or before 14th August 2019 (Wednesday) at: firstname.lastname@example.org
No late request or request without explanation and supporting documents will be considered.
Absence from a placement test for any other reasons – including family obligations, summer jobs, job interviews, trips or any other unexpected events – will result in a fail grade for that placement test.
Only one make-up placement test, if approved, will be held at 1:30-2:30 p.m. on Monday, 2nd September 2019, which is at the first tutorial class of MATH1510 while the test venue is to be announced.
Below is a list of topics covered in the Mathematics Placement Test, which can be used as a study guide.
- Functions (including but not limited to:)
- Polynomials and Rational Functions (including but not limited to:)
- Binomial Coefficients
- Binomial Theorem
- Partial Fraction
- Exponential and Logarithmic Functions (including but not limited to:)
- Euler's Number
- Trigonometry (including but not limited to:)
- Inverse Trigonometric Functions
- Sequence, Series and Power Series (including but not limited to:)
- Summation Sign
- Radius of Convergence
- Vectors (including but not limited to:)
- Vectors in 2D, 3D
- Dot, Cross Product
- Probability (including but not limited to:)
- Mean, Variance, Standard Deviation
- Poisson Distribution
- Comples Numbers (including but not limited to:)
- Polar Form
- Argand Diagram
- De Moivre's Theorem
- Miscellaneous (including but not limited to:)
- Algebric Simplification
- Law of Indices
- Isolating Term
- Quadratic Formula
- Completing Square
- Absolute Value
- Difference Quotient