Purpose of the Test
The Mathematics Placement Test is a pass-fail test! It tests a student's mathematical ability for studying calculus and other areas of mathematics in engineering. The test results are used to determine eligibility for enrollment in MATH1510 (Calculus for Engineers) in order to complete one of the graduation requirements for an Engineering programme.
Students who fail the test must take both MATH1020 (General Mathematics) and MATH1510 (Calculus for Engineers) in Term 1, 2019-20. Students who pass the test will only have to take MATH1510.
There are no exemptions made for the placement test!
Placement Test Schedule
The placement test is scheduled for 1:30p.m. - 2:30p.m. on Monday, 2nd September 2019.
Please arrive at 1:00p.m. at the exam venue to complete the test registration before the start of the test.
Alternate seating will be arranged.
All students attended the placement test will be pre-assigned to MATH1020 as an interim arrangement. Once you pass the placement test, the Faculty of Engineering shall drop the MATH1020 for you so that you can add any other courses at your discretion.
General Characteristics of the Test
- The paper and pencil test consists entirely of multiple choice questions, each with five choices.
- There are 30 multiple-choice questions worth 3 points each for a total of 90 points. Each item has only one acceptable answer. There is no penalty for any question if you pick the choice “I don’t know” for your answer, but there is a penalty for incorrect answer.
- Calculators are NOT permitted during the test.
- Bring a valid, physical photo ID such as HKID or passport (not expired) with a HB (#2) pencil. Please also get your JUPAS / Non-JUPAS Application Number ready in case Mathematics Department may ask such number for further verification.
- You are NOT allowed to use the followings during the test:
- Cell phones, smart phones, and other electronic devices.
- Any clocks, timers, or watches that beep or have audible alarms.
Below is a list of topics covered in the Mathematics Placement Test, which can be used as a study guide.
- Functions (including but not limited to:)
- Polynomials and Rational Functions (including but not limited to:)
- Binomial Coefficients
- Binomial Theorem
- Partial Fraction
- Exponential and Logarithmic Functions (including but not limited to:)
- Euler's Number
- Trigonometry (including but not limited to:)
- Inverse Trigonometric Functions
- Sequence, Series and Power Series (including but not limited to:)
- Summation Sign
- Radius of Convergence
- Vectors (including but not limited to:)
- Vectors in 2D, 3D
- Dot, Cross Product
- Probability (including but not limited to:)
- Mean, Variance, Standard Deviation
- Poisson Distribution
- Comples Numbers (including but not limited to:)
- Polar Form
- Argand Diagram
- De Moivre's Theorem
- Miscellaneous (including but not limited to:)
- Algebric Simplification
- Law of Indices
- Isolating Term
- Quadratic Formula
- Completing Square
- Absolute Value
- Difference Quotient