Double Degree Option
Have you ever considered enhancing your competitive edge by studying for a double degree? The Faculty of Engineering, in collaboration with the Faculty of Business Administration here at the Chinese University of Hong Kong, is offering double degree option in Engineering and Business Administration starting from the 2007 entry. The ERG-BBA double degree option offer you:
- two bachelor degrees in 4 years (for 3-year curriculum) and 5 years (for 4-year curriculum).
- inter-disciplinary professional knowledge in both Engineering and Business Administration which enhances your competitive edge in future career development or pursuit of higher degrees.
- a wider career choice after graduation.
Entrants of this double degree option would pursue their first bachelor degree at the Faculty of Engineering with a selected major (Biomedical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electronic Engineering, Energy and Environmental Engineering, Financial Technology, Information Engineering, Mechanical and Automation Engineering, and Systems Engineering & Engineering Management), and upon completion of the first degree, pursue the second bachelor degree in Integrated Business Administration (IBBA) at the Faculty of Business Administration. Students would be awarded a Bachelor of Engineering (B.Eng.) (or a Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) if majoring in Computer Science), and Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) majoring in Integrated Business Administration (IBBA) upon completion of studies.
Special features of this option include:
- The double degree option in Engineering and Business Administration is designed as a 4 + 1 programme under the 4-year curriculum (3 + 1 programme for the old 3-year curriculum). The second degree programme would last for one year and is run on a self-financing basis where the current annual tuition fee is $120,000 (for students admitted in 2013-14 to 2016-17) / $145,000 (for students admitted in 2017-18 and beyond).
- Students will complete the first degree before beginning the second degree. The second degree is optional and students might choose to opt out from the programme if they want to.
- Students in this double degree option will need to take some IBBA courses during the study period of the first degree. If they eventually do not join the second degree in Business Administration, they will be awarded a Minor in Integrated Business Administration in recognition of the credits units earned from these courses if they fulfill relevant academic requirements of the IBBA Minor programme.
There is no quota for the double degree option. Students who have satisfied all the following admission requirements are eligible to declare the double degree option, subject to the approval of the IBBA programme:
- Have met the admission requirements of the selected Engineering programme.
- Have met the admission requirements of the IBBA Programme.
- Have achieved admission scores not lower than the lowest admission score of the IBBA Programme in the previous year.
* Non-jupas, mainland and international students are also welcome to apply for this double degree programme.
Students pursuing this ERG-BBA track will basically pursue their selected Engineering programme courses plus some IBBA courses during the study period of the first degree in Engineering. Students will be guaranteed admission to the second degree programme in Integrated Business Administration in the fourth year (for 3-year curriculum) or fifth year (for 4-year curriculum) when they:
- have fulfilled all graduation requirements of the first degree in Engineering;
- have achieved a Major GPA of at least 3.0 upon completion of study of the first degree programme; and
- have taken at least 30 units of courses offered by the Faculty of Business Administration while studying for the first degree in Engineering and have achieved an average GPA of at least 3.0 in these courses. These 30 units will include the equivalent courses and required English language courses (i.e. two faculty-based discipline-specific courses: a 3-unit course in Year 2 and a 2-unit course in Year 3, a total of 5 units); but exclude Chinese language and the Foundation English language (i.e. a 4-unit course in Year 1) courses.
Admission of the students who do not satisfy the above requirements to the second degree IBBA programme is subject to approval by the IBBA Programme.
Stage I – Declaration of the ERG-BBA Double Degree Option
(A) Application for Prospective Students
Students would first need to apply and be admitted to the Engineering programme. Interested students should approach the Faculty Office after commencement of new academic year. Applicants are expected to achieve the admission scores not lower than the lowest admission score of the IBBA Programme. The IBBA programme reserves the final right to approve the application.
(B) Application for Existing Engineering Students Admitted
The double degree option welcome existing engineering students to apply in June every year. Existing Engineering Faculty students who are interested in the ERG+BBA double degree option should fill in the application form and return it together with the supporting documents prescribed in the application form to the Engineering Faculty Office. The IBBA programme reserves the final right to approve the application.
Stage II – Official registration of the second degree in IBBA
Upon completion of the first degree in Engineering, students who have registered the ERG-BBA double degree option will be invited to declare whether they would officially register the second degree in IBBA in next academic year (i.e. the fifth year for 4-year curriculum or the fourth year for 3-year curriculum), subject to the fulfillment of the conditions prescribed on the above “Admission Requirements” section.
The study scheme for the ERG+BBA track for each Engineering Major could be found in the website of the Academic and Quality Section.
|Tel:||+852 3943 5519|